These recipes are mostly for one serving, but the carrots will feed more. Have fun and use the flavourings that you enjoy!
Microwave Tomato Pasta
1 clove garlic, crushed, or pinch of powdered garlic
small handful of fresh basil, or ¼ tsp dried herbs
250g chopped tomatoes
25g bread crusts, torn
85g penne pasta (1 cup)
2 tbsp olive oi
- Combine the garlic, herbs, tomatoes and a pinch of salt in a microwaveable bowl. Fold the bread crusts through then add the pasta, making sure it’s completely coated in the sauce so it doesn’t dry out. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap then pierce a few times in the centre. Cook on High for 2 mins. Carefully peel back the plastic wrap and stir well. Add 80ml water and stir again, then replace the wrap and leave to stand for 1 min.
- Return the bowl to the microwave and cook on Medium for 4 mins. Remove from the microwave, peel back the film and stir well. Add a splash of water if the sauce is starting to dry out. Cook on Medium for another 4 mins. Add another splash of water if needed then stir the oil through to serve.
Sweet & Spicy Carrots
1.5 lb (680 g) carrots
2 tbsp (30 mL) coconut oil or butter
1 tbsp (15 mL) light brown sugar or honey
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tbsp (30 mL) white, cider, or wine vinegar
2 scallions, finely chopped
- Wash and peel the carrots, then chop into 0.5 inch rounds using a sharp knife.
- Place coconut oil, brown sugar, and seasonings in an 8-inch square baking dish that is microwave-safe. Stir in and microwave the following ingredients on high just until the sugar melts (around 30 seconds)
- Add the vinegar, stir the mixture, then add the carrots and toss gently until they are coated.
- Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap. Secure the plastic wrap over the baking dish, then poke 6 holes in it with a knife tip or skewer. Without proper venting, the carrots will become mushy instead of crisp-tender.
- Microwave the dish on high in 5-minute increments for 15 minutes. Cook the dish for 5 minutes on high (100%) power, then remove it, uncover it, and stir the carrots quickly. Re-cover it and repeat the process 2 more times. If the carrots are fork-tender and most of the liquid is absorbed at this point, you can stop cooking them
- Thin-slice 2 scallions to finish off the dish.Stir most of the sliced scallions into the carrots, then sprinkle the rest on top when you’re ready to serve the dish
Microwave Stuffed Mushrooms
8 medium mushrooms
2 rashers bacon
2 shallots or 3 spring onions
3 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
pepper and salt
2 teaspoons butter
1. Wipe mushrooms, remove stems and reserve. Trim stems and chop finely.
2. Chop bacon and shallots. Place into a small bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute Add breadcrumbs, seasoning and mushroom stems and mix well.
3. Place a heaped teaspoon of this mixture into each mushroom. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Place mushrooms onto a plate and dot butter between mushrooms, cover with clingfilm. Microwave on high for 2.5 minutes.